Sunday, January 24, 2010

Word of the Year

I have been reading lately how many bloggers are (or have already) picking a word for the year and meditating on it daily. It got me thinking, if I were to choose one word what would it be? Instantly I worried. What if circumstances change and that word no longer fits come June or July? Am I stuck with that word for the next 11 months? I realize not everyone takes such care in choosing one word or that worry is even necessary. I admit, I thought this was not for me. But then I began to think. What if I posted that one word around the house. I would then see this word ALL THE TIME, because I am here ALL THE TIME. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea. It would give me a good starting point for a study. So I gave it a go, I began thinking of words and looking them up. I wanted to know their meaning, origin, and how they were used in sentences. Ok, most of the words I came up with needed other words to make clear the meaning I wanted.To find one word, this would be a daunting task. I thought and thought. and thought.....and thought.

I came up with stewardship. "a person who manages another's property". I want my life to be full and joy filled. And I often forget that it's not mine. That I was given it, a gift that I am to be grateful for, and use wisely. I find myself wishing I were a better steward of my time and money. So I am going to post this word around my house and in my mind. Maybe it will rub off on the other members of my house too!!!

Thank you to Irenic Thoughts for this cartoon!

2 comments:

  1. Good word!

    I think if I were choosing a word, it would be something like: Peace. Calm. Patience. Serenity. Get my drift?

    Maybe I'll hang up a few reminders myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stewardship is a good word. I've seen a lot of people doing this as well, but I haven't attempted to pick a word. I like your word a lot, though. Whenever I get frustrated that my life hasn't gone exactly the way that I planned, I'm trying to remind myself that it's not all about me anyway, and that I need to focus on what God has planned.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!